Recipes for Crooked House
In Order of Appearance
Jen's Rosemary Ranch Chicken
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ranch dressing
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
2 tsps. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 TB sugar
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Mix all ingredients except chicken. Let stand 5 minutes
- Pound chicken breast to 1/2″ thickness.
- Coat chicken with marinade and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Grill chicken for 8-12 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Cranberry Walnut Bread
1 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 egg (beaten)
1 & 2/3 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. orange peel (finely grated)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 & 1/2 cup cranberries (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, orange peel, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together beaten egg, cooking oil, and milk.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and blend well.
- Add cranberries and nuts and stir.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan or two 71/2 x 31/2 x 2 loaf pans.
- Bake for 1-1 hour & 15 minutes for the single pan or 40-45 minutes for the two smaller pans. Use a toothpick in the center to determine if bread is done.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles with Blackberry Maple Syrup
2 cups all-purpose baking mix
1- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 & 1/4 cup cold Sprite
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
- Stir together baking mix, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk soda, egg, and butter
- Gently whisk egg mixture into poppy seed mixture. Mixture will be lumpy. Let stand 3 minutes.
- Cook batter in a preheated, oiled Belgian style waffle iron until golden. About ¾ to 1 cup batter per waffle. Note: A traditional waffle iron can be used as well.
Blackberry Maple Syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 (12 oz) package frozen blackberries, thawed
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsps. lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients and warm in microwave or on the stove.
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. soda
1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cream sugar and shortening, then add egg and mix well.
- Add spices, salt, baking powder, soda, and flour.
- Stir in applesauce, chocolate chips, raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 at 350. If you like square cookies, press dough into a greased 8×8 pan for thicker cookies or a 9×13 pan for thinner ones and bake for 20 min at 350.
Tropical Fruit Salad
1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 large red apple, chopped
1 large yellow-delicious apple, chopped
1 large banana, sliced
2 kiwi, peeled and sliced thickly. Cut slices into quarters.
1 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped walnuts
1/2 cup toasted flaked coconut. Divided. Use 1/4 cup for salad and the rest on top as a garnish.
Unpeeled apple slices, to garnish top of salad.
Lettuce Enough to line salad bowl.
- Blend together mayonnaise or salad dressing, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Whip the cream till soft peaks form; fold into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Gently fold in red and yellow apples, banana, celery, and walnuts. Chill salad.
- Line salad bowl with lettuce; spoon in the chilled fruit mixture.
- Top with apple slices in a circle and garnish with toasted coconut.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
2 Tbsps. butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
2 to 3 cups diced chicken
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
5 cups chicken broth
1 scant tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. dried leaf thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsps. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1 & 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
3 cups dry egg noodles
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is tender.
- Add parsley, chicken, chicken broth, soups, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt garlic powder, chicken bouillon, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots, and noodles, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or half-and-half.
- If a thicker soup is desired. Mix 3 TB flour or cornstarch with 1/3 cup half and half, then stir in some of the broth from soup. Add to soup. Cook 2-3 minutes or until thick.
Oven Baked Potato Wedges
4 medium to large russet potatoes
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub potatoes. Cut in half crossway, then cut each half twice lengthwise. Rinse and pat dry.
- Mix oil and seasonings.
- Add potatoes and toss.
- Place potato wedges in a single layer on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender.
Bacon-Cheddar Deviled Eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 slices bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
2 Tbsps. sour cream
2 Tbsps. finely shredded Cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp mustard
Paprika for garnish
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a light boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water and cool by rinsing under cold running water.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until evenly browned. Cool, crumble, and set aside.
- Peel the hard-cooked eggs, and cut in half lengthwise. Put yolks in a small bowl. Mash egg yolks, slowing adding mayonnaise and sour cream. Stir in mustard and salt, then add crumbled bacon and cheese. Fill egg white halves with the yolk mixture, sprinkled with paprika, and refrigerate until serving.
1 lb. ground beef
1 (16 oz.) can pork and beans, drained and pork removed
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 Tbsps. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. dehydrated minced onion
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1 cup cheese, grated
- Brown beef and blot grease.
- Stir in sugar, onions, salt, beans, and barbecue sauce, and pour into casserole dish.
- Flatten biscuits slightly, and place on top of casserole. Bake for 15 min. at 350. Turn biscuits, bake another 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on casserole and return to oven for five minutes or until cheese is melted.
Coconut-Walnut Carrot Ring
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
2/3 cup coconut
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar, oil, and eggs.
- Add flour mixture to sugar, oil, and eggs. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in carrots, nuts, raisins, and coconut.
- Pour into greased and floured 9” bunt pan or a 6 cup ring mold. Bake at 350 for 35 min, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan after 15 minutes and cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting and cover with coconut.
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 tsp. milk
2 cups coconut
- 1. Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- 2. Mix in vanilla, then gradually stir in powdered sugar
- 3. Add enough milk so frosting is of the right consistency